hi i'm syd
i'm like a star in that i'm beautiful, incredibly dense and possibly dead
hi, i'm sorry if this has been asked but in your powerpoint you said that the tumblr sj community is guilty of antisemitism. what kind of things has it done? also, i love your blog!
I’ll take this one since I’m the blog’s resident Jew. Oy vey, where do I start…
- SJ community loves to police Jewish identity and silence actual Jews when they talk about their own identities. This usually happens in context of either “Are Jews White?” or “Jewishness is just a religion” conversations. In reality, Jews are an ethnoreligious group that ethnically originated in the middle east, and while some ethnic Jews have light skin, it’s actually due to centuries of forced assimilation in European and Slavic countries through rape, which is a big reason why Jewishness is matrilineal. Furthermore, there exist Jews who do not look white at all. There are black, brown, and asian Jews who are all ethnically Jewish, and these conversations erase them.
- "Jewish privilege". Fact: It’s not a thing. It’s actually a very common anti-semitic trope that says that Jews run everything so they are not oppressed. Jews are oppressed, and face anti-semitic violence.
- "Anti-semitism is not just about Jews, there are other semitic people." While yea, there are other semitic people, the term "anti-semitism" was created by Germans in the 19th century to refer specifically to the hatred of Jews because it sounded more scientific.
- Blaming anti-semitic violence in Europe on the actions of Israel. I see this literally every single day on this site, and it’s very upsetting. Jews that live in the diaspora are not responsible for Israel’s actions, and especially should not be suffering at the hands of white people in Europe under the guise of anti-zionism.
- Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine. The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.
That’s enough for now. If you’re interested in learning more about Jewish identity and anti-semitism, you are welcome to check out my personal blog: yochevedke. I discuss that stuff a lot.
Another Jew reblogging about anti-semitism. I’ve seen some increase in concern about this from goyim, but it’s been slow going. Hopefully we’ll pick up a big head of steam soon.
"The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe."
the amount with which this point in particular resonates with me is unreal
I think one of the most relevant things Marxism has to say about society today is that individuals don’t control the system. Capitalists aren’t motivated to oppress the working class because they’re morally bad as individuals. You could put anyone at the helm of a company - woman, gay, Christian, liberal, communist, president of the NAACP - but when they sit down and are forced to balance the budget of an enterprise, the marketplace demands that they exploit labor to the maximum extent possible. That means, if they want their enterprise to survive in the marketplace, they need to pay low wages, provide minimal benefits, de-skill labor, keep high employee turnover, provide few breaks, etc, because as they push the price of labor lower, they increase the amount of wealth they get to retain as profit. If a barista produces $200 of drinks in their working day, an enterprise needs to push the amount they pay for that labor as low as possible. The progressive gay female transgender boss of color may pay her workers $100 per day for this labor, but she’s just going to get run out of business by Starbucks, who pays $60 for the same amount of labor.
Okay here’s something some rocket surgeons who read Max Brooks unironically don’t seem to understand. The horror in modern zombie fiction, or at least good modern zombie fiction, does not come from the zombies, nor are they the primary threat. The horror and threat is meant to come from the humans, the goal is not simply to survive as some Charleton Heston Omega Man survivalist masturbatory fantasy, but to survive with one’s humanity intact. And a character who is killed by zombies does not die because the zombies killed them, but because humanity failed to save them. Is that really so fucking hard to understand?
And an addendum in case it wasn’t clear the first time: if your idea of the ideal zombie hero is some sixpacked shitlord who cuts his fellow survivors loose at the first sign of ‘liability’ then you have already proven yourself to be the real monster, you chode.
seeing videos/art depicting the Closeted Trans Boy using ace bandages to bind makes me so angry. have the character wear two sports bras on top of each other or two tank tops or just baggy clothes?? stop promoting the idea that it’s ok to bind with bandages if you don’t have a binder. a lot of people don’t know how harmful it is.
this got a lot of notes so i figured it would be a good idea to add some links describing what safe binding is and resources for alternative binding methods
- binding safety tips for all methods of binding
- binding safety and different binding methods from hudson’s guide
- more information on binding w/ ace bandages
- MORF binder exchange—globally distributes free binders to trans people, all you have to pay is shipping
- "inabind" binder donation program
- a list of more binder donation programs
- chest binder review blog
- reviews of binders from several popular companies
- homemade binder tutorial
- another homemade binder tutorial
- and one more
three hundred people have already reblogged this post and it would mean the world to me if you all reblogged it again with this new information. a lot of trans people dont have access to binders or know the dangers about binding, especially young trans people and those who have just started to identify as trans—this knowledge could help them immensely and save them (and their bodies) from unnecessary harm